Stone Middle School Named FL DOE Music Demonstration School
Stone Middle School has been recognized as a Music Demonstration School by the Florida Department of Education and Florida Music Educators Association.
Florida has over 4,000 Public Schools. Thirty-two of Florida's Public Schools have received this recognition. So another way of viewing this, is that Stone is in the top one percent of K12 Florida for Music Education!
A Demonstration School is a school in which the music program is comprehensive in scope and outstanding in quality. It contributes to the overall excellence of the school environment, addresses the Sunshine State Standards in exemplary ways, and promotes academic and aesthetic student achievement in music and other areas of the curriculum.
Dan Lee, Band & Orchestra Instructor
Stone Middle School
Jennifer Rock, Chorus Instructor
Stone Middle School
All music educators in the applicant school are certified in K-12 Music Education; teach in-field throughout each instructional
day; have been employed in their current teaching assignment at the applicant school for a minimum of two full years.
The music program incorporates Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and provides:
- general, vocal, and instrumental music instruction;
- individual, small-group, and large class or ensemble instruction and activities;
- evidence of formative and summative assessment;
- instructional planning informed by assessment;
- a sufficient scope of instruction and variety of experiences to serve the total school population; and
- modifications or accommodations for students with special needs, including those having high levels of musical aptitude or skill.
- Music instruction is based on a written program of sequential skills development and musical processes.
- All teachers in the music program are certified music educators who seek to improve or augment their skills through appropriate professional development activities.
- The music program has sufficient time for substantive instruction, properly equipped classrooms, appropriate instructional materials, reasonable class sizes, physical facilities for a variety of activities, and a safe and aesthetically satisfying environment.
- The performance aspect of the program is of high quality according to generally accepted criteria.
- There is reciprocation of services and enrichment among schools in the district and between the school music program and the community.
- The music program purposefully contributes to the success of students in the areas of reading, writing, mathematics, and science.